Opening: WEEM Football Beat Writer/Photographer
This reporter will primarily cover Pendleton Heights’ football team.Seeking someone who has experience with social media and can help attract more readers to our PH football coverage. If the student(s) chosen are scheduled for a WEEM-related course, this position will cover some coursework.
Reports and writes for all platforms while developing specialization as a beat writer.
- To report news and feature stories, blogs and other material originated by the reporter or assigned by the editor for all platforms, with a heavy focus on football. These should be written accurately, clearly and concisely, and in an engaging, interesting and unbiased manner.
- To develop ideas for news and feature pieces.
- To cultivate and use sources and resources.
- To build a network of sources who supply information.
- To progressively develop expertise in subject matter as well as sophistication in writing.
- To assign and/or take photographs, video and other visual elements, to edit when necessary.
- To follow school and WEEM rules.
- The demonstrated ability to judge the news effectively.
- Ability to work under deadlines.
- A working knowledge of libel, privacy and access laws.
- A command of spelling, grammar and fact-finding.
- A working knowledge of social media and wordpress.
- Ability to attend events outside of normal school hours.
- Preference given to students that have passed Beginning Broadcasting.
- Must be a 2016-17 Pendleton Heights student.
If interested, contact Mr. Petrey by email (email@example.com) or call 765-778-2161, extension 6094.